The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the most successful teaching NHS Trusts in the country.
We offer more nationally-accredited specialist services than any other group of hospitals in the UK. Our hospitals have over 1,800 beds and we manage over one million patient ‘engagements’ every year.
We provide innovative, high standard healthcare, including community services and primary care. Yet despite our size, complexity and national position we remain committed to the healthcare needs of local people.
Our flagship services include:
- the Cardiothoracic Centre at the Freeman Hospital – the only centre in the UK to provide all complex cardiopulmonary surgery including heart and lung transplants for both children and adults
- the Great North Children’s Hospital which cares for our younger generation for the whole region as far north as Berwick in the borders and across to Cumbria in the west and down into North Yorkshire on the south end of the region.
- our major Trauma Centre at the Royal Victoria Infirmary serving a population of more than 3million.
You can see our full service portfolio.
Did you know?
- We manage over 1million patient 'engagements' every year
- We have 1,800 beds in our hospitals across the city of Newcastle
- We have around 13,000 members of staff making us one of the largest employers in the North East
Delivering high profile national services through experts in their field
The Trust attracts and retains some of the country’s most highly respected healthcare experts, with clinical teams led by nearly 750 consultants – 160 of whom are honorary academic consultants based at Newcastle University. Our consultants are at the cutting edge - nationally and internationally - for the latest developments in the fields of ageing, stem cell, cancer, genetics and transplantation.
With around 13,000 staff, the Newcastle Hospitals is one of the region’s major employers. We have a long-standing reputation for high quality clinical care with our staff’s commitment to excellence reflected in our consistent performance at the highest level. In 2012, we were delighted to be awarded a Top 40 Hospital rating for the 12th successive year - one of only five trusts in the country to achieve this.
Strong track record in financial management
With an annual income in excess of £850m, the Newcastle Hospitals have sound financial standing and has just completed its fifth year as a Foundation Trust during which all financial plans and performance targets were achieved. We are committed to investing in our infrastructure to ensure continual provision of the highest quality services and have recently completed one of the country’s largest capital investment schemes in excess of £350m. This investment continues and in October of this year we very much look forward to unveiling the UK’s very first Institute of Transplantation, dedicated to all forms of solid organ transplant surgery.