Cardiothoracic Services (Heart and Lung)
The Freeman Hospital’s Cardiothoracic Centre is a regional and national centre of excellence for respiratory (lung/chest) and cardiac (heart) care. We are one of the top units in the UK, providing specialist treatment for all types of heart and respiratory related conditions in adults and children.
Our specialist clinicians combine medical expertise with an innovative approach to new technologies and treatments, and are dedicated to providing a safe, high quality service to all who come here.
Treatment at the Freeman Hospital is available to anyone who lives in and around the North East of England. Our highly specialist services, for example transplant surgery, are offered to anyone in the UK with more complex heart or lung related conditions.
Patients admitted to the Cardiothoracic Centre are usually referred by their GP but we also receive many specialist referrals from other hospitals, if they do not have the necessary expertise.
Internationally renowned expertise and advanced technology
The Cardiac Centre offers treatments for almost every type of heart disease, including:
- cardiac and thoracic surgery for both adults and children
- heart transplant surgery for both adults and children
- fitting pacemakers
- angioplasties (balloon treatments for narrowed coronary arteries) including laser angioplasty
- rotablation (technique to break down hard, calcified blockages in the arteries that do not respond to balloon angioplasty or stent implantation)
- intravascular ultrasound.
We also offer specialist treatments for abnormal heart rhythms.
Specialist care for respiratory conditions
The Freeman Hospital’s Respiratory Unit offers a wide range of services including investigation and treatment of many lung conditions - Specialist services offered include investigation and treatment for:
- pulmonary hypertension (one of only five national centres)
- pulmonary vascular diseases
- lung cancer
- lung transplantation
- “Smoker’s lung” (COPD)
- sleep service (for apnoea assessment and treatment)
- severe asthma