Self Training Programme
(0191) 282 5237 - Falls and Syncope Service
Evidence has shown that repeated tilt table testing or a self-training programme is an effective, safe and well-accepted therapy for the treatment of syncope. The self training programme is a long-term retraining and reconditioning of the baroreceptors in the body.
The programme consists of an initial tilt table test in the unit. During the tilt table test, you will be asked to inform the staff of any symptoms you experience and to learn to recognise these symptoms. You may faint during the test. A self-training programme will then be devised for you to start at home.
Orthostatic self-training programme:
The programme consists of a twice a day regime for up to 30 minutes each time, every day for up to four weeks. You will be asked to keep a diary to:
- Record daily symptoms during training
- Length of time you stood each time
- Reasons for ending training
- Stand and lean with your upper back against a wall, with your feet placed 15 cm away from the wall, without moving. Ensure you are in a safe environment.
- Stand for as long as you can (we are aiming for you to be able to stand for up to 30 minutes by 4 weeks).
- If you develop symptoms, i.e. dizziness or a faint feeling, stop.
- Record in your diary the length of time you stood, the symptoms you experienced and the reasons for ending the session.
- This training is done twice a day, every day.
- At each session, aim to stand for longer than the time before.
- Once you have achieved a self-training session of 30 minutes, we will bring you back to the unit for a repeat of the tilt table test.
- If you do not experience any symptoms during the tilt table test, then we will be able to reduce your self-training programme to 30 minutes once a day.
- You may be advised to continue with this routine daily.
- Self-training contributes to regaining self-confidence and helps to increase your sense of control over your symptoms and in reducing the frequency of your symptoms.
If you have any questions, please ask the doctor or nurse, who will answer them.
Contact Falls and Syncope Service
Telephone 0191 282 5237
Hours Monday to Friday 9.00am – 5.00pm