The Dental Hospital in Newcastle primarily provides clinical experience for undergraduate dental students, student Dental Care Professionals and qualified dentists undertaking further training. It also provides specialist services for referred patients in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oral Medicine, Orthodontics, Paediatric Dentistry and Restorative Dentistry (including treatment of the anxious patient and those with special care needs).
The Hospital accepts referrals from general dental practitioners (GDPs), the community dental services (CDS), general medical practitioners (GMPs), and tertiary referrals from medical and dental specialists.
To find out more about being referred to the Dental Hospital click here.
Our main areas
Our Dental Services are made up of three main areas:
- the Dental Hospital
- the Community Dental Service
- the North of Tyne Out of Hours Service.
Newcastle’s Dental Hospital is the major centre of specialist dental services for the northern region. We treat patients referred to us for a wide range of services providing expert dental care and advice. As we are one of the leading teaching hospitals in the UK, with pioneering research projects, we train a large number of dental specialists and dental students.
The Community Dental Service provides a full range of dental treatment for patients who are residents of Newcastle and who fit specific criteria.
The North of Tyne Out of Hours Dental Emergency and Advisory Service provides advice and/or dental treatment to patients whose condition requires general dental services outside of normal opening hours.
You can read more about our Dental Hospital services.
Extensive range of specialist services
We treat adults and children, for the following:
- Restorative Dentistry (specialist treatment for gum disease, construction of dentures, crowns and bridges and root fillings.
- Orthodontics (provision of specialist appliances, such as braces)
- Sedation (specialist techniques for patients who are anxious or nervous of dental treatment)
- Paediatric Dentistry (dedicated care for our younger patients)
- Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology (a range of X-ray services to help diagnose dental problems and monitor your treatment)
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery - the surgical management of disease and deformity of the mouth, jaws and face.
- Oral Medicine - investigating and treating disorders that involve the lining of the mouth
Pioneering dental care in the UK
We are one of the leading teaching hospitals in the UK, with pioneering research projects, and train a large number of dental specialists and dental students. Patients with more straightforward dental problems are sometimes referred to students to help them in their training and research.
Patients seeking routine or less complex restorative dentistry may be taken on by the undergraduate dental student programme for teaching and training purposes. These treatment items change according to the educational needs of the dental students and cannot be guaranteed to be available. To find out more about registering for free dental treatment click here
We believe that aftercare is an important part of any procedure and will always give you advice on pain management and any sort of food and drink you should avoid after treatment.
For more details about our Dental Services, please contact:
- Tel: 0191 282 4664 or 0191 282 4693