What is ciclosporin?
Ciclosporin is one of a group of drugs known as immunosuppressants. These drugs are used to damp down the body's immune reactions.
What skin diseases is ciclosporin used for?
Ciclosporin is mainly used for treating severe eczema and severe psoriasis. It is also used to treat some less common skin complaints
How is ciclosporin taken?
The dose of ciclosporin will depend on your body weight. It is taken twice a day. Swallow the capsules whole with some water . Avoid grapefruit juice for one hour before taking a dose
Are some people unsuitable for ciclosporin?
Ciclosporin may be unsuitable for people who have had cancer and people who have a serious infection. Your doctor will take a full medical history from you to check that there are no reasons why you should not take ciclosporin.
Do other medicines interfere with ciclosporin?
- Some medicines can interact with ciclosporin
- Always tell the doctor treating you that you are taking ciclosporin
- You should not take over-the-counter medicines without checking with doctor or pharmacist that they are safe to take with ciclosporin
Is it safe to become pregnant while taking ciclosporin?
- Women should avoid becoming pregnant while taking ciclosporin and should therefore use a reliable form of contraception
- If you should accidentally become pregnant while taking ciclosporin you should inform your doctor as soon as possible
Can I have immunisation injections while on ciclosporin?
- You should avoid immunisation injections which involve any of the "live" vaccinations such as polio, rubella (German Measles) and yellow fever
- Flu vaccinations and pneumococcal vaccine are safe
Can ciclosporin have side-effects?
- Ciclosporin can affect the kidneys, particularly in patients who have taken it for a long time. You will therefore need to have regular blood tests while receiving ciclosporin. If the kidney blood tests become abnormal, the dose of ciclosporin may need to be reduced or the ciclosporin may have to be stopped.
- Ciclosporin can cause an increase in blood pressure so your blood pressure will also need to be checked regularly
- Some increase in hair growth on the body and face is common
Other side-effects which can sometimes occur include:
- Shakiness of the hands
- Upset stomach or abdominal pain
- Swollen gums
- Sensations of heat in the hands or feet