This is an antiseptic solution used in the bath or as a soak to treat weeping ulcers and eczema. Use the solution until eczema, ulcers, and fissures are clean and healing.
Guide To Its Use
The solution should be prepared immediately before use as it oxidises (goes brown) approximately 10 minutes after mixing.
Dilute with warm water until a rose pink colour is obtained to the following concentration.
- 5% Potassium Permanganate – add 3mls of solution to 6 litres of warm water.
- Permatabs – 1 tablet to 4 litres of warm water.
The affected area should be soaked with the solution for 10 minutes only. Soak gauze and apply as a poultice to the affected areas, or immerse the affected areas in the solution.
- Potassium Permanganate can stain the skin and nails brown but it does wear off.
- The bath/bucket should be cleaned immediately after use, to reduce the risk of staining.
- Potassium Permanganate stains the floor surfaces, clothing and carpets permanently.
- To avoid staining a sink or bath, a basin or bucket can be used and the solution disposed of using an outside drain.