Short Contact Dithranol
You have been given dithranol to use at home, it is very important that you follow the instructions given precisely as dithranol used incorrectly can make the skin very sore indeed. If you have any doubts or questions be sure to ask.
1. The nurse in the Out Patients Department will show you how to apply the dithranol before you leave the department.
2. As far as possible apply the ointment only to affected areas, not all over the body. Use it only on the trunk and limbs. DO NOT use it on the face, genitalia, folds, (armpits, groin) or scalp.
3. Leave it on for 15 minutes only.
4. Remove the ointment as you have been shown using:-
a) paper towel and water with diluted washing up liquid
b) rinse the solution off and rinse the bath out prior to
c) shower, bath, wash all over with Epaderm Ointment
d) apply Epaderm after drying to lubricate the skin
5. Dithranol stains the bath, walls, floors, curtains, etc so be very careful. Wash the bath immediately you come out with a bleach cleanser.
6. If you skin is sore do not use the dithranol but wait until the skin has settled, or you have been reviewed in the department by the nurse.