Wound Care after Surgery
Contact: (0191) 282 4805 - Dermatology Department
This has been written by the staff to help you to care for your wound after surgery. The operation to remove your skin lesion is now over. To make sure that your wound heals properly please follow these guidelines:
1) If the dressing remains clean and dry or you have been told to leave it in place, the dressing should be left in place until your stitches are removed.
2) If the dressing gets wet it must be removed. Once removed, clean the wound as described below and apply another dressing if required. Note: some special dressings (e.g. Opsite) can be splashed with water without problems; the nurse will tell you if your dressing is this type.
3) If you have been told to or need to remove the dressing, do this before showering or washing. It will do no harm if the wound gets washed whilst you are in the shower.
4) Thereafter look after the wound as follows until the stitches are removed at your GPs surgery or in the Skin Outpatients:
a) Change the dressing daily. Clean the area with cooled boiled water or equivalent.
b) Pat the area dry
c) Apply a thin smear of antiseptic ointment (e.g. Savlon cream, Germoline cream etc) if required
d) Apply a fresh clean dressing daily as required.
5) Remember: if at anytime the dressing gets wet it should be replaced as soon as possible.
If you have any further queries regarding your dressing please contact the Dermatology Department on (0191) 282 4805