As many as one in five women will experience some form of gynaecological condition during their lives, often leading to pain and inconvenience. We offer a committed, patient-centred service in Newcastle with a team of experienced clinicians and specialist nursing staff.
We can provide you with the very best care, advice and support whenever you need it.
Newcastle Centre for Gynaecological Surgery
The Newcastle Centre for Gynaecological Surgery is based at the Royal Victoria Infirmary. We offer an extensive range of treatments for women in the North East of England who have ailments including pregnancy problems and loss up to 20 weeks.
Our team of dedicated gynaecological surgeons specialise in benign (non-cancerous) and malignant (cancerous) conditions, using the most clinically advanced techniques available in line with national guidelines including those published by NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence).
Our service is recognised as a centre for excellence and we received many referrals from other hospitals which may not have the expertise to carry out advanced and complex surgery.
One of our key aims is to ensure that you receive the very best and safest care, avoiding major surgery wherever possible. Our surgeons can offer a broad range of minimally-invasive procedures under local anaesthetic - this means that where appropriate, you can come in for your treatment and go home on the same day.
Committed to providing safe, up-to-date clinical care
Our highly experienced and skilled clinical staff have pioneered a number of improvements to our services so we can ensure women receive the best possible care. These include :
- ‘One stop’ clinics where scanning, consultation, blood tests and planning all take place at the same visit
- A dedicated pre-assessment clinic if you are being admitted for surgery with the option of a telephone appointment for minor procedures
- A 24 hour telephone line for direct referral for termination of pregnancy (ToP) as well as evening and weekend appointments that are more convenient for some women
- 24 hour admission if you have a gynaecological emergency so you don't need to go to A&E
- Laparoscopic (minimally invasive) procedures helping to reduce the length of time you need to stay in hospital
- Specially trained nurses and doctors working in colposcopy and urodynamics with very short waiting times
- Early pregnancy assessment unit if you have problems in the first few weeks of pregnancy
Specialist advice and support where and when you need it
If you are admitted for a specific problem or treatment you will come to our dedicated gynaecological unit on Ward 40 or the Day Unit. Here we treat women who may need minor day surgery or procedures which require a longer stay in hospital.
Our pre-assessment clinic is run by a specialist nurse, who will give you all the advice and support you need when coming to the RVI for your planned surgery.
Our team of consultants and doctors, specialist nurses, clinic and ward staff are committed to helping make your time with us as straightforward as possible.
For more information about any aspect of our Gynaecological Services, please contact:
- Angela Barnes - Matron, Gynaecology Services
- Tel: 0191 282 5640