The Antenatal Clinic is situated in the Maternity Unit at the RVI and our experienced staff have the expertise to look after women with a medical condition which may cause a high-risk to their pregnancy.
We hold specialist clinics here every day including clinics for women who:
- already have a medical condition for example diabetes
- have had a problem in a previous pregnancy
- develop problems during their pregnancy
- are expecting more than one baby
- with any type of pregnancy related problem.
You can be referred to any one of these clinics by your own midwife or GP and at the first antenatal visit, there will be discussion with you and your family, the midwives and medical team.
Together we will form a plan based on your individual needs to help make sure your pregnancy is as safe and healthy as possible.
If you are at low risk of developing complications of any kind during your pregnancy, you will receive antenatal care in your local area from your community midwife.
If any problems do develop during pregnancy, the community midwife will refer you to our Antenatal Clinic to be seen by one of our Consultant Obstetricians.
How to find us
Directions to the Antenatal ClinicShow [+] Hide [-]
The Antenatal Clinic is part of the Maternity Unit and is situated on level four of Leazes Wing at the RVI. To find us:
- come throught the Leazes Wing main entrance and walk past the main reception desk
- turn left and take the lifts or stairs up to level four.
- the maternity reception desk will be straight ahead of you
- turn right and you will find the Antenatal Clinic Reception Desk in front of you.
How to get to the hospital
Things you need to know
- When you arrive you will be asked for your maternity notes and we will check the details with you to ensure we have the most up to date address and contact details.
- We will then direct you to the correct area for you to wait to be seen. There are a number of clinic lists running at the same time so you may not be seen in order of arrival.
Reception staff also work behind the scenes in:
- Making appointments from the information received from your community midwives and uploading your details onto the hospital systems.
- Answering any telephone queries from the public
Following your visit to clinic you should return to the reception desk so that staff can arrange any further appointments you may need. If the desk has closed please remember to ring up for your next appointment
- There are toilets and baby changing facilities available.
- A WRVS snack bar is available nearby which sells hot and cold drinks, sweets and snacks. This is open on weekday afternoons between 12noon and 4.00pm.
The Antenatal Clinic is open from Monday to Friday between 8.15am and 5.00pm. We do also have a limited number of early evening appointments for routine ultrasound scans only.
- tel: 0191 282 5840 for appointments
- tel: 0191 282 5843 to speak to Senior Midwife Andrena Turley
The Maternity Assessment Unit is open 24 hours a day, every day. If you have any concerns at any time during your pregnancy, please call:
- tel: 0191 282 5748 and ask to speak to a midwife.