Maternity Assessment Unit
Contact: (0191) 282 5748 - Paula Taylor, Midwife in Charge
The Maternity Assessment Unit is open 24 hours a day. The midwives who work here care for women who have been referred by their GP or Midwife although you can also self refer at any time during your pregnancy.
We see women in the unit:
- who have raised blood pressure and need to be monitored
- who think their 'waters' may have broken
- with a baby coming 'bottom first' (breech)
- who have abdominal pain or bleeding at any stage during their pregnancy
- who feel that they may be in labour
- for any other reason where there is a concern about their pregnancy
How to find us
Directions to the Maternity Assessment UnitShow [+] Hide [-]
The Maternity Assessment Unit is on the second floor of the Leazes Wing in the Maternity Unit. To find us:
- Come through the Leazes Wing Main Entrance and walk past the reception desk to your left.
- Take the stairs of lift up to the Maternity Unit on level two and report at the maternity reception desk.
- Security is very important in the maternity unit - you will be directed to the Maternity Assessment Unit through the security door.
How to get to the hospital
Staff you are likely to meet
Midwives and health care assistants run this unit and may call on doctors working on the delivery suite if they are needed.
Things you need to know
- Your birth partner is very welcome to come along with you to the Maternity Assessment Unit.
- There is a WRVS kiosk available in the Maternity Unit which sells a range of hot and cold drinks and snacks.
- There are toilets and baby changing facilities available.
- We have no facilities for children on the Maternity Assessment Unit and there is no visiting allowed.