Newcastle’s Endoscopy Service provides specialist screening for the diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of disorders affecting the digestive system. Our experienced multi-disciplinary team of medical and nursing specialists carry out over 15,000 endoscopic procedures every year.
Our staff are committed to providing you with the very best care, in a safe and comfortable environment. We have endoscopy units at both the Freeman Hospital and Royal Victoria Infirmary, where our clinicians provide rapid diagnosis of your condition, as well as some types of endoscopic treatment.
Specialist endoscopic procedures
Wherever you live in the North East your GP can refer you to our service for investigation of your symptoms. As we are the only hospital in the North East that carries out certain specialist procedures, such as endoscopic ultrasound, we also receive referrals from doctors at hospitals across the region for complex gastro-oesophageal (gullet and stomach) and hepatobiliary (liver, pancreas and bile duct) disorders.
Comprehensive range of diagnostic procedures
A comprehensive range of diagnostic procedures are available, including:
- Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (examination of the lining of your gullet, stomach and first part of your intestine by a flexible tube with a small camera on the end)
- Colonoscopy (examination of your large bowel by a flexible tube with a small camera on the end)
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy (examination of lower bowel by a flexible tube with a small camera on the end)
- Enteroscopy (examination of the small intestine)
- Endoscopic Ultrasonography Diagnostic / FNA (examination of the lining of your gullet, stomach pancreas and bile ducts by a flexible tube with a small camera on the end and a scan performed)
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio Pancreatography)
- Capsule Endoscopy (pill sized camera examination of the small bowel)
- Bronchoscopy (examination of your lung by a flexible tube with a small camera on the end)
- EBUS - an endobronchial ultrasound of the lungs with a biopsy
Following diagnosis of your condition, some types of treatments may be performed endoscopically. Your treatment options will be discussed with you by your doctor or nurse endoscopist.
We also provide a specialist Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG) service for people who need to be tube-fed directly into the stomach.
For more information about Endoscopy Services, please contact: