What will happen after the EUS?
- You will be allowed to rest quietly in the recovery area where a qualified nurse will observe you until the main effects of the injection have worn off.
- You will be advised when you can eat and drink.
- After an EUS, patients are usually allowed home but please arrange for a relative or friend to collect you directly from the ward to take you home. Please liaise with the ward staff to arrange collection time.
- You will not be fit to go home by public transport.
- Once home you should rest quietly for the rest of the day.
- You should arrange for someone to stay with you overnight following the procedure.
- The after effects of the injection make you sleepy and forgetful for 24 hours after the examination.
For 24 hours following the test you must not:
- Drive a vehicle
- Operate machinery
- Drink alcohol
- Sign any legal documents
- Be left alone to care for children
When will I know the results of the EUS?
- Sedation makes you forgetful, but the endoscopist or nurse, in the presence of your accompanying relative or friend, will discuss the results of the test with you, if you wish.
- A full report will be sent to your doctor.
- Before you are discharged you should be given clear details concerning follow-up arrangements.